My 2.5 weeks in Sri Lanka are up. Since Ella I took the most amazing scenic train ride up to Kandy for a couple of fairly uneventful days (bar one great night out!), then I moved down to Mirissa to top up my tan. I’m so glad I chose Mirissa as my final stop as it was a great beach town and I met some great people.
It has been so nice discovering a new country, but with that comes the usual stress of not knowing where you are going, getting ripped off, travelling fast so you can see everything, and having to learn how things work, but I guess thats the fun of travelling!
I have to admit though, I’m actually really looking forward to getting back to Thailand, which is where I am heading now. I know it…I know where I’m going and how much things should cost and it means I can relax more 🙂
Don’t get me wrong, I love discovering new things but it’s nice to get back to the familiar after a few weeks of always being on your toes!
Sri Lanka is such an interesting country, it is so grown up for Asia and is way ahead of it’s neighbours in terms of attitude (as in things actually work here), but it’s infrastructure needs to catch up a bit. Transport is still very dated and needs upgrading… good luck trying to find a bus timetable!
It’s an up & coming place! There are whisperings about Sri Lanka back at home, and a lot of people are now holidaying here. But it’s also getting on the backpacker radar.
The backpackers in Sri Lanka are of a different ilk. They are wiser, more curious, and have an appetite for discovery. They like to party, sure, but travelling is about more than that for them. I felt like I was in the company of a lot of like-minded individuals, and it was a nice change from the hedonism of Thailand.
I met some great people here, and it always reminds me that people make a place or an experience. Some of the my favourite places or experiences over the last 2.5 weeks have involved some awesome people:
- Whitewater rafting just outside Colombo – shout out to the BED hostel crew
- A great night out in Kandy that included an incident with the gents toilet (will fill you in with the deets in a future post!) – The lovely Izzy & George
- Hiking & getting lost in Ella – my dutch dudette; Moreen
- Seeing some amazing animals on safari – Hanna & her Polish tour group
- Finding a secret beach in Mirissa (post coming soon!) – the crew above!
It’s been great few weeks to be fair! Some things that made Sri Lanka great:
- Rice & Curry
- All the food actually
- Helpful locals!
- The sunsets…literally mind-blowing
- The secret beach in Mirissa
- Baby turtles in Hikkaduwa
- The views in hill country
- The beaches (not the touristy ones!)
- The weather of course
- BED hostel in Colombo
- A surprisingly great safari
- Train ride from Ella to Kandy
- And like I said…the awesome travellers I met
Things that I didn’t like about Sri Lanka:
- Being asking where I’m from constantly
- Leery local men
- The prices – more expensive than it’s neighbouring countries
- No information online so working out how to get to places wasn’t easy
- Colombo & Kandy cities – didn’t find anything I liked much but these to main cities
- Tuk Tuks not knowing where anything is (this is an Asia-wide thing lol)
- Being ripped off by Tuk Tuks (again, an Asia-wide thing!)
I think Sri Lanka is a must visit for backpackers and holiday-makers alike, and I think over the next 5 years it’ll become a firm favourite on the backpacker trail, which will help with getting more information online and make it a little more backpacker-friendly 🙂
So now onwards to Thailand … and I managed to score an upgrade to business class , yey!!
Have you been to Sri Lanka? What did you like/dislike about it?