Friends, not much has really happened since my last Photo & Story of the Week as I’ve travelled for quite a bit of it, so instead of giving you some mediocre (god I hope my usual photos aren’t mediocre!!!) photos this week, I’m instead going to gift you with my monthly round up (am I that arrogant to think you really care??!!) anyways, It’s Songkran from 13th-15th April so next week I will have MORE than enough cool photos, an hopefully one awesome video to share with you, so just make do ok! 😉
So today marks my 35th day since I left the UK for my second jaunt around Southeast Asia, and it’s been pretty different this time. So much better in that I know what I’m doing (and I’m not in the miserable UK of course!), but also I’m getting off the ‘banana pancake’ trail a little bit, so seeing some places I’ve not yet seen.
Saying this I’ve also re-visited some of the places that I loved so much from last year, like Bangkok, Chiang Mai for Songkran (where I am right now) and Cambodia (like EVERYWHERE in Cambodia!).
I’m also blogging full (ish) time this time round, so I’m trying (with not much luck) to travel a little slower so I’m not so tired all the time, between travelling full days and partying (of course…maybe I should change my blog to ‘Party Paula does Asia’..thoughts??!).
Yes, partying is my all time favourite thing to do and I’m not apologising for that! Anywho…
So, as a good little blogger I’m going to attempt a monthly round up so you can see in one place what I’ve been up to, my highlights, my lowlights, my budget summary and what I’m planning to do next, although don’t hold me to that as things don’t always quite go to plan when travelling!
Where I’ve been so far:
3 nights in Colombo / Sri Lanka
2 nights in Hikkaduwa / Sri Lanka
2 nights in Kataragama (Safari) / Sri Lanka
4 nights in Ella / Sri Lanka
2 nights in Kandy / Sri Lanka
3 nights in Mirissa / Sri Lanka
1 night in Colombo / Sri Lanka
Bringing my time in Sri Lanka to 17 nights in total or 2.5 weeks. Sri Lanka is such a beautiful country, and is definitely up and coming, so get there now before it becomes another firm favourite on the tourist bandwagon!
Next up was…
2 nights in Bangkok / Thailand
3 nights in Siem Reap / Cambodia
5 nights in Sihanoukville / Cambodia (CARNAGE!!!)
1 night in Bangkok / Thailand
I’m currently in Chiang Mai, Thailand for 7 nights for the infamous Buddhist water festival; Songkran. After that I’ll spend 3-4 nights in Bangkok with my boyfriend (debauchery to follow!!!), before flying to Singapore for 2 nights, then onto Manilla, the capital of the Philippines for a month over there!
1. The most amazing Sri Lankan Sunset
2. Baby turtles migrating to the sea only just hatched
3. Meeting the most amazing people on my way around … love the bond you get with the people you travel with (YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!!)
This is not nearly everyone by the way!!
4. Re-doing Angkor wat and loving even more the second time
5. and….the beach in Cambodia. Without a doubt one of my all time favourite places!!! 3 days is serious ‘on it’ partying…’Sinville’ definitely delivered!!
1. Getting ripped off all the time. And seriously the effort of trying not to get ripped off is exhausting!!!
2. Missing my sisters operation. We are so close and I wish I could have been there to support her as she has been for me so many times in the past!
3. Missing my nephews 5th birthday (which I paid for!!! lol). Miss that little guy
Most popular photo:
Things I’ve Learnt:
- I need to go to India. After having listen to many people rave about it, I feel more comfortable about going and it’s 100% on my bucket list for either this year or early next year!
- I need my own space. I cannot travel with anyone for too long. Once I’m all talked/partyed out I need time to recover…ON MY OWN! lol
- It’s hard to find girls on my ‘wavelength’…but when I meet them I LOVE THEM!!!!
This Months Travel Tip:
(I’ll give you a new one every month)
- When you book your flight, order the vegetarian option as it comes out first and is fresher!!
So I haven’t kept such a tight leash on my finances this year but I spent around £35 a day in Sri Lanka which I was expecting and in Cambodia around £27. Cambodia is such a cheap country, but if you stick to the western pubs/bars & restaurants you get raped financially!!
Last year I was spending on average £21 a day so I am WAY over that this year, but that’s cool as I’m enjoying my self immensely!!!! eat, sleep, massage, rave, repeat!!!!!
Glad the weather is perking up in Blighty!!