Saying goodbye when travelling is the worst.
Making new friends and having your loved ones come and see you is one of the best bits of travelling, but when it all comes to an end it can be heartbreaking!
Relationships on the road are intense. You spend almost every waking second with that brand new person, you have a lot in common as you talk over all the places you’ve been and are planning on going to, and you experience deep seeded emotional experiences together. A travelling friend can be a friend for life.
Or it can be a single serving moment on a crazy night out. Either way when it comes to saying goodbye, and inevitably it does… It can hurt like a dagger through the heart.
When you’ve had the time of your life with someone, you never want that fun or those feelings to stop, so saying goodbye is painful. But it’s a part of life, and the bitter makes the sweet sweeter. For every goodbye, another hello is waiting right around the corner… Just stick with it people.
Here are 5 tips for how to say goodbye in style:
1. Try to avoid talking and wallowing in the fact the end is nigh. It’ll just ruin your last few days/hours together
2. Make the most and appreciate every second of your time together … You’ll never forget it
3. If they annoy you, let it pass… It’s not worth the stress and you don’t want that last fight to fester around your mind once you/they leave
4. Get drunk!!! Best way to starve off those feelings of depression (lol)
5. Don’t drag it out. Last year my bf kept missing his train to wait for the next so we had more time together, but it only elongates the dreaded inevitable
I’ve also experienced the incomparable pain of leaving not 1 but 2 guys (yes I’m THAT girl!) after having travelled with them for 6-10 weeks consecutively. Leaving someone you love is even worse, and having been by their side 24/7 means you get serious seperation anxiety and depression for weeks after (thank god for valium!)
It literally was the worst feeling I’ve ever had and DO NOT plan on repeating it!
Anyway, goodbyes are a part of life and show us we care about others. Feel it and move on…. You will always see them again, and that my friends, is the sweetest 😉