Whilst all my fellow tubers in Vang Vieng (Laos) were busy being drunk, I seemed to be the only one that realised that our surroundings were, in fact, breathtaking..I couldn’t believe it! How could we be surrounded by such beauty but nobody even notices?!
It was at that moment on my travel adventure that I realised I was old ha! no..not really…but it did make me realise that I was so glad I had decided to do my travelling at a slightly older age when I could appreciate, not only the fun/socialing side but also the culture, the food and the scenery 🙂
Now, i’m not suggesting everyone under the age of 30 is ignorant (!!), but in my experience of travelling the majority of backpackers I came across were too busy having fun (and why the hell not!!) to perhaps drag their ass out of bed to experience Angkor Wat at sunrise, or venture off the Banana Pancake Trail to see the ‘real’ vietnam. Or perhaps I was just hanging out with the wrong people! sorry guys 😉
I totaly believe travelling in your later 20s or 30s (or even older) is a much better way of experiencing the eye-opening experience of travelling, and here’s why:
– You appreciate not working so much more after having worked for a substantial amount of time
– You have more money
– You probably enjoy food more and so discovering new foods is a pleasure and not just a way of re-fuelling
– You love a good night out but love discovering new things just as much
Equally, i’m sure there are a few things that are NOT so good at travelling when you’re a bit older:
– You feel old hanging out with 20 odd year olds all the time (no, just me then??)
– Your hangovers are epic (gone are the days of drinking 2 nights in a row)
– You miss your creature comforts so much more (I longed for my comfty king size bed far too often)
Ultimately travelling just after Uni has become a right of passage for most – well in the UK anyway – couldn’t get away from those damn Brits 😉 – and so I guess it’s a bit of an extension of the fun of that period of your life, except with much nicer weather! There really isn’t that appreciation I think you have when you have worked for a bit..but that’s just my view.
I’m sure there will be plenty of people out there happy to tell me i”m wrong here so let’s hear it people…restore my faith